Robert S. Minetz
Robert S. Minetz joined Latimer LeVay Fyock LLC as a partner in September of 2009. Bob practices primarily as a commercial litigator. Bob has a vast array of experience, including the preparation and trial of all types of commercial cases, appellate practice, including preparation of briefs and presentation of arguments before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, the Illinois Supreme Court and the Illinois Appellate Courts in over ninety cases.
Bob is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Summary of Professional Experience
List of Representative Trial Court Matters:
- On September 24, 2008, the jury entered a verdict for $1,277,120 for Bob’s clients who were attorneys who sued their former client for interest on their attorneys’ fees. The attorneys worked for their client from 1990 to 2000 on her divorce case based on her oral promise to pay them 9% interest on the legal fees. Following a $20,000,000 divorce settlement, she paid the fees but not the interest.
- Bob represented a group of ten subcontractors as co-trial counsel with Bruce Logan of Ash, Anos, Freedman & Logan, LLC, and on June 1, 2007, they obtained a judgment for $6,948,195.31 from Judge Nancy Arnold. The award was against a lender who lured the clients back to home construction jobs. The award included over $1 million in punitive damages.
- On August 2, 2007, Judge Malak approved the final settlement agreement which resolved a will contest Bob filed on behalf of two siblings against two other siblings. The matter was so contentious that an armed, undercover police officer was present at the mediation. The settlement documents took over six months to complete.
- Bob obtained a “bad faith” finding from Judge Agran for a contractor in a declaratory judgment action filed by his insurance carrier.
- Bob successfully defended an automobile dealer in a jury trial in December, 2004 based on a fraud claim by an unhappy customer.
- Bob tried a sex harassment/hostile environment case on behalf of the plaintiff before Judge Darrah in the United States District Court in 2003, and he found in favor of the plaintiff.
- Judge Nowicki ruled in Bob’s client’s favor after a trial on the merits and allowed my client to keep the 15 year lease option even though the option was exercised one month late. The appellate court affirmed the ruling.
- Bob represented the Broadview Missionary Baptist Church in a zoning case before Judge Getty. After trial, he ruled in Bob’s client’s favor and entered an order allowing it to build a new church in an industrial area. The appellate court affirmed the trial court.
- Bob represented one of the trustees of a pension plan who was the subject of an ERISA suit. After trial, Judge Gettleman of the United States District Court ruled in Bob’s client’s favor against the plaintiff and in the plaintiff’s favor against the co-defendant.
- Bob successfully represented a developer in a dispute involving three developers, a municipality, and a utility. The developer wanted to offer Chicago water in his subdivision located west of Wolf Road in Orland Park, Illinois. The trial court and the appellate court accepted Bob’s position. The client named a street in Bob’s honor in the subdivision.
- Bob obtained an injunction against mule diving at Kiddieland Park. He represented a humane society. His family enjoyed the media coverage. He enjoyed the novelty of the issues and the B.B.C. interview.
- Bob successfully settled a civil rights suit in the United States District Court against the City of Chicago which wrongfully revoked an advertising sign permit and stopped construction of the sign. The sign is the first one seen by northbound travelers on the Kennedy Expressway north of the loop.
- Bob successfully defended a condominium developer in a class action suit, including two appeals, based on the plaintiff’s theory that a conveyance with “extended coverage” title insurance over a wrap around mortgage was a breach of a sale contract which required the conveyance of good and marketable title.
- Bob represented a developer in an emergency preliminary injunction hearing in Kane County and obtained a mandatory injunction requiring the owner of the real estate to convey title to residences built and already sold to third-parties by our client.
- The Quandary Facing a Deponent Who Erred at His or Her Deposition, Illinois State Bar Journal, April 2000.
- Liability for Retaliatory Discharge and Your Employee’s “Secret File”, Council on Education in Management, Personnel Law Update, 1996.
- Arbitration – An Alternative to Litigation, The Business Edge, a publication of Blackman, Kallick & Bartelstein, April 1, 1990.
- Does An Illinois Entrepreneur Have A Duty To Provide A Reasonably Safe Means of Ingress and Egress To Its Business Premises Or Has This Well-Established Rule of Law Become a Mere Exception?, 30 DePaul L.Rev. 403 (Winter, 1981).
- Editor, Court Handbook for Chicago Lawyers, Chicago Bar Association (1978).
- Recent Illinois Supreme Court Decisions Concerning The Authority of Home Rule Units to Control Local Environmental Problems, 26 DePaul L.Rev. 306 (1977).
- May A “Wrongdoer” Recover A Deficiency Judgment, Or Is Section 9-5-7 (1) A Debtor’s Exclusive Remedy?, 6 U.C.C. L.J. 344 (1974).
- Zoning Ordinances Which Restrict The Definition of a Family and Constitutional Considerations, 62 Ill.B.J. 38 (1973).
- An Examination of The Rule Which Forbids A Trustee to Offset His Investment Losses Against His Investment Gains, 1972 U.Ill.L.F. 784.
DePaul University, B.A., 1968 Major in Social Science; Minor in Speech President of Alpha Beta Gamma.
University of Illinois, J.D., with honors, 1973 Fifth in class standing with grade point average of 4.583 on a 5.00 scale Notes and Comments Editor, University of Illinois Law Forum Order of the Coif.
June, 1968, to January, 1970, Specialist 5, assigned to duty as a Chaplain’s Assistant, 1st Infantry Division, Vietnam.
Top litigation Attorneys in Illinois by the American Registry, Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Vietnam Service Medal and Vietnam Campaign Medal.
- King Dad Court, University of Illinois 2004
- Referee, American Youth Soccer Organization
- Varsity Coach, Lincoln Park High School Girls Soccer Team (2000-2002) (City Champions in 2002)
- Lector and commentator at St. Clement’s Parish (1973-present)
- Gordon Technical High School Hall of Fame