DANIEL A. COTTER
Daniel A. Cotter is a Partner at Latimer LeVay Fyock LLC. Dan focuses his practices in a variety of areas of corporate law and litigation, including insurance law, complex business disputes and counseling, employment law, corporate transactions, corporate governance and compliance, and cybersecurity and privacy law. His clients benefit from his diverse professional experience, which – in addition to his years serving as trusted outside counsel – includes positions as a corporate accountant and an in-house attorney.
Summary of Professional Experience and Representative Clients:
- Advised Illinois Department of Insurance regarding first two insurance company demutualization’s approved under the Illinois Insurance Code.
- Represented buyer in a purchase of a California-domiciled insurer and assisted in redomestication.
- Represented buyer in purchase of a Massachusetts-domiciled insurer.
- Represented a multinational insurer in a transaction involving a complex merger involving multiple insurance departments and obtained regulatory approvals or exemptions from all jurisdictions.
- Represented a multinational insurer in an acquisition of control of an Oklahoma-domiciled insurer.
- Obtained certificates of authority for full expansion for client in more than forty jurisdictions.
- Counseled an insurer in an expansion and on acquisition strategy.
- Negotiated and obtained regulatory approval for a multinational insurer in an acquisition of a New York-domiciled specialty insurer.
- Advised non-profit entities on complex dissolutions, mergers and conversions.
- Conducted an internal investigation of alleged sexual harassment at a non-insurance related entity by a board member.
- Acted as outside general counsel for clients in a wide range of industries.
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS/CERTIFICATIONS
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1995
7th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1996
U.S Supreme Court, 2011
Successfully completed Certified Public Accountant exam, 1989
The John Marshall Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, 1995
- The John Marshall Law Review, 1992-95; Staff Editor, 1994
- Participant,1994 ABA National Criminal Justice Trial Advocacy Competition.
Monmouth College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1988
- Departmental Honors, Accounting, 1988
- Blue Key Senior Man of the Year, 1988
- President, Mortar Board Honor Fraternity, 1986-87
Chicago Bar Association
- President, 2014-2015
- Board of Managers, 2003-04, 2005-2007, 2010-2016
Chicago Bar Association/Young Lawyers Section
Chicago Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2004-2011, 2013-2016
- Treasurer, 2009-2011